WAKE UP AMERICA! Dr. Joel Fuhrman
Who is Dr. Joel Fuhrman?
Well known author of the best selling book, Eat to Live, Dr. Joel Fuhrman specializes in treating disease with food. His PBS show, Three Steps to Incredible Health, was the highest grossing special in 2011 on that network.
Dr. Fuhrman is a director of research of The Nutritional Research Project of the National Health Association and serves on the advisory board of Whole Foods Market. His career path was inspired by watching his father who was very sick get well by changing the way he ate.
His opinions are strong and his research can help millions lead healthier lives into old age. If we will only listen.
In the words of Dr. Joel Fuhrman
Our nutritional path should be about more than losing weight and preventing heart attacks but about maximizing health.
- Those who lived 50 or 100 years ago had less pain and disability in the last 10 years of their lives than we do now. We may live longer but we are more sickly as we age.
- We are affected by toxic exposures going back to our mother’s womb. The right nutrients can help repair damage and fight off cancer while strengthening our immune system.
We need to become “nutritarians.”
- A “nutritarian” makes food choices that provide an optimum amount of nutrients per calorie (a high n/c ratio).
- The healthiest diet is one where we consume micro-nutrients our body needs for superior immune function. The key is knowing what nutrients you’re missing.
I recommend the GOMBBS eating plan.
- The current American diet is 62% refined foods, 26% animal products, and 20% unrefined plant food that is mostly white potato products. Couldn’t be better designed to create cancer and heart disease.
- GOMBBS is an acronym for:
- G= greens. Leafy and cruciferous vegetables like spinach, kale, broccoli, cabbage, brussel sprouts. Compounds called Isothiocyanates (ITC’s) protect against cancer.
- O= onions. Protective against cancer.
- M= mushrooms. Enhance immune function and weight loss. Fat and tumor inhibiting with low calories.
- B= beans. Nutritional profiles vary with different types of beans. Rich source of phytonutrients linked to longevity.
- B= berries. Contain polyphenols and anthocyanidins which help protect the brain and immune system.
- S= seeds. Flax, chia, hemp, pumpkin, and sesame seeds. Contain lignins which help protect against cancer. Can stabilize inflammation and help with heart regularity.
- Whole grains in their natural state can be part of a healthy diet. Choose black or wild rice, beans and lentils over rice flour or white potatoes. Soy is also an excellent health food.
Traditional diets are doomed to fail.
- Increase the micronutrient quality of your food in order to lose cravings and overcome addiction to certain foods.
- Make food decisions based on science and logic and not emotion. Stop believing that the correct choice is consistent with the way you were raised.
- I don’t recommend a daily multi-vitamin because it could be giving us too much of some things and not providing enough of others.
- Vitamin D supplements are very important for those who don’t get enough from the sun. Serious illness can occur from a Vitamin D deficiency.
- The data indicates that Folic acid may be a powerful contributor to the cancer epidemic. Often confused with Folate, a vital compound found in green vegetables and beans.
- The risk of B12 deficiency goes up as we age.
Our family has stopped taking multi-vitamins. Maintaining a diet rich in natural vitamins and minerals is better for us and saves money.
Dr. Fuhrman’s interview reinforced my current eating habits. I was happy to learn that mushrooms and onions are super foods because I love both!
We have so much control over our own health and our immune system’s ability to fight disease. Yet we live in a world that waits to care until it’s too late. Don’t be one of those people who has time to treat their disease but not enough time to prevent it.
A Healthier YOU begins…
…with selecting a minimum of 2 foods to eat each day from the GOMBBS diet.
Learn more about The Food Revolution and how you can purchase the entire summit in audio and .pdf formats.
The Food Revolution Network, founded by food activists, John & Ocean Robbins, conducted a series of audio interviews with twenty-four of the most well respected researchers, doctors, and authors, with a focus on how we can improve our food systems and lead healthier lives. This series will provide summaries of each of these interviews so that we may all improve our health by eating more consciously. Please read intro to series for disclaimer.