WAKE UP AMERICA! Inflammation: The Silent Epidemic
Food For Thought
What I loved most about the conference I attended lead by Dr. Merrily Kuhn was the practical advice I could put to use immediately in my own home.
Inflammation is our body’s attempt to initiate a healing process. It is often misunderstood to be the injury or infection, but rather it is the response mechanism.
Chronic inflammation can lead to serious disease and can wreak havoc on our cells.
Here is a summary of 5 great tips by Dr. Kuhn.
1) Increase omega 3’s and decrease omega 6’s.
- The typical American diet has a 25:1 ratio of omega 6 to omega 3’s due to consumption of processed foods, animal proteins, and farm raised fish. Most animals slaughtered for food are fed high omega 6 corn diets.
- Avoid processed foods, high fructose corn syrup, palm oils. (Did you know Crisco has a 114 year shelf life!)
- If you take fish oil capsules:
- Keep them in the freezer. More effectively released in our body.
- Should have both EPA (heart protection) and DHA (nervous system protection).
- Should not have Omega 6 in them (frequently used as a filler). Omega 9 is ok.
- Brands recommended by Dr. Kuhn: Nordic Naturals, Life Extension, UNASA, Solanova
2) Eat these antioxidant foods.
- Most often it is the surface area of these foods that contain the high levels of antioxidants.
- Blueberries, plums, kale, strawberries, spinach, brussel sprouts, broccoli, red grapes, beets, cauliflower, cabbage, oranges with pith (white part)
3) Reduce your exposure to unsafe plastics and containers.
- Plastics (look at number within triangle on container)
- UNSAFE: #3, #6, #7 (Polychloride)
- SAFE: #1, #2, #4, #5 (Polyethylene)
- Don’t ever drink out of styrofoam or heat up leftovers in styrofoam containers!
- Expert panels concluded in 2006 that “BPA at concentrations found in the human body is associated with organizational changes in the prostate, breast, testis, mammary glands, body size, brain structure and chemistry, and behavior of laboratory animals.” Canada has banned BPA as a toxic substance. [See source]
- BPA lines most canned goods at the supermarket. It helps the food slip out of the can. Buy items in other packaging or BPA free cans such as those by Eden Organic.
- Triclosan is in many hand soaps, deodorants, and common consumer products. Evidence is disturbing and its safety is currently under review by the FDA. “The United States Environmental Protection Agency classifies Triclosan as a probable human carcinogen, meaning it likely causes cancer.” [See source]
5) Anti-inflammatory food and drinks to include in your diet.
- Spices & foods: turmeric, garlic, onions, grains, legumes (beans, lentils..), mushrooms (good for pain and stiffness)
- Pinot Noir wine: this wine has the most concentrated mold on the grape skins making it higher in anti-cancer resveratrol (natural organic compound)
- Broccoli sprouts! (We add them to salads and sandwiches). 2 ounces equals 2 pounds of broccoli!!
- Dark chocolate with 70%+ cocoa
- Make green tea the right way. A powerful anti-inflammatory especially related to cancer cells.
- Buy whole green tea leaves. (Greater benefit because of polyphenols compared to other teas).
- Place in stove pot: 3 large pinches of tea leaves + 4 herbal tea bags (or more green leaves) + 1 gallon water.
- Heat until you start to see bubbles and then turn off. At 140-160 degrees is the critical temperature to achieve maximum benefit.
- Drink 4-5 cups a day. Very little caffeine (10mg/cup) so should not interfere with sleep.
When we know better, we do better. Or at least we should be smart enough to try.
I now buy BPA free canned goods and drink lots of properly brewed green tea. I couldn’t believe how many unsafe plastic pitchers and containers were in my home (now discarded)! I will avoid styrofoam and be aware of containers I use to heat food.
Thrilled to learn that mushrooms are quite good for you!
I look forward to bringing you more tips and warnings from Dr. Kuhn within my WAKE UP AMERICA! series.
A Healthier YOU begins…
…by including more of these antioxidant foods and avoiding known toxins even before our government declares a ban (which is often too late).
Dr. Merrily Kuhn’s books are available on Amazon.
The conference I attended was called, Food For Thought: How Nutrients Affect Mental Health and the Brain. Sponsored by The Institute for Brain Potential. Dr. Kuhn is a well respected expert and professor in Pharmacology, Pathophysicology, and Complementary medicine and has received 3 doctoral degrees. Consult with your personal physician with any questions and tailored recommendations to your specific needs. Please read intro to series for disclaimer.